Sunday, January 6, 2008

Let it all Hang Out!


How many times have I used the expression, "Can't wait to go home and unwind," or "Can't wait for the weekend to let my hair down!" When I say this, I tend to mean it more literally than perhaps the average person. I'm currently working a job where I'm sitting all day and looking at a computer: this is hard for a kinesthetic person. I literally feel like my whole body has been clamped up the entire day!

But its not just my physical body that has been clamped up the entire day... If 80% of all communication takes place through body language, and I've been unable to move all day, then I have not been able to express myself for the whole day! That's 8 hours of under-expression for me! So when I say that I'm going home to "unwind" and "let my hair down," I really mean it!

I literally "let my hair out" pick out some music that reflects how I feel, and I just dance. At this point in the day, its really important for me not to do a set dance - it has to be improvised, it has to be exactly what I feel like doing at the time. Whatever movement I feel like doing, I just let it out. This is how I tell my day's story. This is how I say, "Gosh, it was a busy day!" Gee that person annoys me!" "I hate my computer!" etc. I'm sure I look completely ridiculous some days - but it feels wonderful, its both relaxing and energising at the same time: and its a way of letting go.

Finished off with a long stretch and a hot shower and I'm ready for whatever the evening brings!

No comments: