Sunday, January 13, 2008

Do something you're NOT good at - live outside your comfort zone


I have this bumper sticker on my car, it says... "Do something you are not good at - live outside your comfort zone."


I had to remind myself this morning why I originally purchased this sticker. Far too often in life we find things that we are really good at and stick to doing just them. Most of us fall into this trap. I so frequently hear people say, "Oh no, I don't dance, I'm not good at dancing." I often am guilty of the same... especially when it comes to group sport!


Whoever said life was limited to things that we are good at? That could make for a very boring existence! Surely life isn't just about doing things that we are good at over and over again? Its about enjoyment and trying new things, gaining new experiences.


I was forced to take some of my own advice this morning. I had become quite apprehensive about the course I had enrolled in to do this week. Its a ballet summer school which will concentrate largely on intesive technical study, something I have not undertaken for quite some time and was never extremely good at (although I always enjoyed it). Given the nature of this course, I will no doubt be the eldest by far (at least by 10 years) and the largest in the class. I will also most likely be the least experienced as it has been sometime that I've focused on my ballet technique.


I was having second thoughts about it this morning before I hopped in my car to go to work, and then I saw my bumper sticker and thought, "You love these classes!" Remember last time you did it how much fun it was and how invigorating it was to be around young people. It doesn't matter if you're not as good as the others. If you were perfect you wouldn't need to go anyway and it wouldn't be any fun because you would have nothing to learn!"


I'm starting to think my $3.00 bumper sticker was a good investment!

1 comment:

Adry said...

Dear Tina,

You are right... so often I feel this way about dancing. I love dancing but I even refuse to go to the gym sessions that involve dancing just because I feel so conscious of myself and how I move. And I also feel the same about group sport... since I was little I just felt I was not good at it and have been afraid to give it a go as an adult.

Hope you are enjoying the course!