Monday, June 23, 2008

"Move" Your Way to a Better Mind Frame




We so often underestimate the value of movement or physical activity. If were not feeling well, if were down, depressed or tired, we lack the motivation to exercise when really exercise is just the thing we need.

An overactive mind so often goes with an underactive body. We need to fight our mind's desire to remain static and compel our bodies to undertake some form of movement.

Many people say that you feel better as soon as you start exercise. I do not believe this. There is no quick fix for anything - so I certainly dont believe that if you start exercising all your problems are going to disappear. I am much of a realist. It is quite likely that the first time you do move, you dont feel any better at all. Maybe even the 2nd time - or the third. It is only once it has become a habit that you find you may even enjoy particular forms of physical activity.

Obviously I prefer dancing to any other form of movement. You will never find me at a gym or playing a team sport. However recently I realised the need I have for more cardio-vascular activity (which dance doesnt always provide as rehearsals are very much stop and start). So I began walking/jogging with my husband.

To be honest the first time I did it, I didnt enjoy it at all - I couldn't wait to get back home and plop myself on the couch. The 2nd time was much the same - in fact for about a month it was like that... sometimes I even dreaded going, and I often thought I just lacked the energy to do it. But now ,about 3 months into this exercise program, I really look forward to our walks. I like the exercise, I like the wind in my face and I enjoy our time together. I also feel a lot better for it.

Similarly a couple of weeks ago, I had committed to a gig at the restaurant at which I often sing. I had received some shocking news that week and so i was tired, lacking energy and motivatiion and Iwas in absolutely no frame of mind to even sing to myself let alone perform for others. But I had committed, and I couldnt let the band down.

The start of our performance was a little bit low as I had expected. However as we gradually moved through the evening I found that the singing and dancing that I was doing was slowly making me feel a little bit better. I was a little bit less anxious and found that I had some energy that I didnt think I had before. By the end of the evening I was feeling a whole lot better and almost ready to face the world again.

I often forget just how much of an impact dance and exercise does have on my moods. I find that I often say over in my head, "Overactive mind - underactive body," and it helps me keep my "movement" on track.






1 comment:

Gal Baras said...

Tina,

I loved the article,
I think you worte it for me.

love
Ronit
http://www.ronitbaras.com