Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Paniyiri



This weekend is Paniyiri weekend! For those of you that haven't a clue what I am talking about, Paniyiri is Greek for "festival." So this weekend is Greek Festival weekend in Brisbane!

Ever since I was a kid I've loved, enjoyed and looked forward to Paniyiri. Most years I either dance or sing, many times the same repertoire as the year before.

One of my friends asked me how I can still be enthusiastic after more than 20 years of attending. I thought about this question and I asked myself, "What is is about Paniyiri that year after year makes me excited and happy?" "Is it the food?" Sure the food is great, but its not the drawing point. "Is it the Greek wines?" Hmmm, the Greeks aren't really the best wine makers! Surprise surprise, its actually the music!

At Paniyiri, a live band plays all my favourite Greek songs - new and old, and the atmosphere created by the live band - up there high on that big stage - is incredible. And its not just me that feels it. Every year I watch (and dance with) hundreds of non-greeks on the big grassy dance floor. They haven't got a clue what the song lyrics mean or how the dance is danced, but they feel moved by the music and the atmosphere and they feel compelled to dance. Its a wonderful thing to witness - so many people so happy and feeling so great that they just want to move.

That is what brings me back ever year.

So if you live in Brisbane, and you've got nothing else planned this weekend, head down to the Paniyiri at Musgrave park and have a dance - you'll feel so much better for it!

No comments: